The Hotel Union ~ Cambridge NY
On the turnpike crossing was a pioneer tavern kept as long ago as the last century by a man named Peters. After- wards Aaron Chase became the keeper, and remained many years. About 1850 the Feutons enlarged the house and gave it a reputation which secured for it a large patronage. It was known as the ” Union Hotel.” A fire in 1875 completely destroyed it as well as other buildings in the locality. At present a commodious frame house is building on the old site, to be used for tavern purposes. ~ History of Washington County New York 1890
The Union Hotel stood on the North West corner of Main and Union streets in Cambridge NY. The Great Northern Turnpike was the main route from New York City, through Albany North to Canada, and ran directly in front of the Union house. The Great Northern Turnpike was built between 1799 and 1804 and ran through Cambridge up Turnpike Road, North & South Union Streets, and out to State Route 22. Over the years there have been three hotels located at this corner and they have been refereed to as “Union House”, “Union Hotel” or “Hotel Union”. The photo above is the first “Union House”. Believed to be built in the early 1800s and expanded in 1850.
The Hotel Union (the third built on the site) was built in 1885 at the same time the Cambridge Hotel was being built on the corner of Main and Depot Streets. The race to complete the hotels became known as the “Great Hotel Race of 1885”, ultimately the Cambridge Hotel won the race and opened in November of 1885 just a couple of weeks before the Hotel Union.
The Hotel Union provided a fine carriage that would shuttle people to the Delaware & Hudson Rail Road station located on Main Street.
Portions of the Hotel Union still stand today on the North side of West Main street and over the years have housed a number of business, such as the Grand Union and most recently Jay’s Pizza, as well as apartments.
THE HOTEL UNION AT CAMBRIDGE, N.Y.
30 Miles Northeast of Troy, on the D&H RR; 23 Miles East of Saratoga; 13 Miles West of Bennington
Property consists of Hotel ===48 Rooms, 4 Parlors, large Dining-Room (furnished) seating capacity for 80 people.
This property has all the Modern Improvements – Electric Light, City Water, Bath Rooms and Steam Heat. It is furnished and carpeted complete and same are in good condition. Has a large Barn. accommodating 30 to 40 horses. Rentals now under contract, subject to sale and with desirable tenants who wish to remain. 2 Stores, 1 Billiard Room, 1 Livery Barn, 1 Feeding Barn.
License and good paying bar trade.
Also Ten Acres of Good Land. Receipts from Rentals $1600 a year.
Was built and furnished in 1885 at a cost of $43,000.
Satisfactory reasons for selling.
Property is open for inspection, and is one of the best paying Hotels in Northern New York and shows a net profit of over $2,000 a year.
This property, with all the furniture and doing an active business, is offered for sale. – Two -thirds of purchase price can remain on mortgage at five per cent. Possession can be given in ten days’ notice.
Owner B. H. FRY, Amenia, N.Y.