About Argyle, New York
Argyle was name by early settlers (ca, 1738) who arrive from Argyleshire, Scotland. By 1790 there were more than 2,000 residents and almost 300 homes making Argyle the largest population center in the county.
The Village of Argyle, New York, in the Town of Argyle, is named after Argyll shire, Scotland (now Argyll and Bute, Scotland). Many of the original setters came from Scotland and settled here in the mid-1700s. German, Irish, Dutch and Polish settlers were also attracted to this area. The 1800s found Argyle residents active in the Underground Railroad and abolitionist movement. The Moses Kill provided waterpower for mills in the village. The early 1900s brought a library and running water to residents, who proudly served their country in times of war. Today, Argyle Village is considered home by the descendants of these folks and newcomers alike.
Comprising about 35,000 acres of land, lies close to the center of Washington county between the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains of Vermont. The patent of Argyle was granted march 13th, 1764. Some of the first settlers arrived in 1738 from Argyllshire, Scotland. The name of Argyle was given because the settlers were all from the shire of Argyle in Scotland. Up to the time of the revolution, population growth was very slow. In 1771 there were only 90 voters in the entire patent. By 1790 the total population had grown to 2341 and there were 299 homes. Argyle at this time had the largest population of any town in the county by 100 people. Argyle like the rest of America is a “melting pot of races” since its beginning and not pure Scottish community like it is often pictured. Today the population hovers around 3688 according to the US census figures.