This 1910 photograph shows Dr. Albert Young (in carriage) and Fred Cleveland. Dr. Young moved
to Salem in 1875, and resided in the Sherman-Wilkins home. In 1887 Dr. Young created a plan to
bond the village for $13,000. This sum added to the $12,000 left by the Benjamin Bancroft estate
was used to create the Bancroft Public Library. Dr. Young served the Salem area for 41 years,
making house calls, delivering babies, and tending to the sick, until his death in 1916.