Richard Clayton Photography

  • Cambridge, NY 12816
  • rclayton@CambridgePhoto.com
  • 518-677-5488

Cambridge Photo services include:

  • Photography

  • Video Production

  • Website development

  • Social Media Marketing

  • Event Photography

  • Digital Historical Archival Services

Richard Clayton Photograpy on FacebookJoin us on
Facebook

View us on your
Richard Clayton Photograpy for Smart Phone
Smart Phone

Vintage Images

Cambridge NY, Main Street West 1900s Postcard ~ The Cambridge Hotel 1905

Cambridge NY, Main Street ~ West 1900s Postcard - Main Street West ~ The Cambridge Hotel 1905

The Cambridge Hotel is a landmark Washington County New York country inn, located in the heart of the village of Cambridge NY. Built in 1885, this historic "Train Hotel" originally provided lodging and dining to travelers on the Delaware and Hudson Railroad Line.

Salem NY, The Batten Kill Railroad 1970s Postcard

Salem NY, The Batten Kill Railroad 1970s Postcard

Serving Washington County with freight and excursion passenger service. The Batten Kill's Alco RS-3 No 605 passes near East Greenwich, NY, with their colorful passenger excursion. Locomotive was purchased from the Vermont RR.

Hebron NY, Route 22 ~ The Old Brick Blacksmith Shop

Hebron NY, Route 22 ~ The Old Brick Blacksmith Shop

The Old Brick Blacksmith shop is located on Route 22 at Tiplady's Corner, and was operated by Robert Cunningham and Matthias Bartlet in the late 1800s. The shop produced Steel and Iron to make horse shoes, wagon bolts, tire bands and hubs, sled runners, tools and potato hooks.

Granville NY, North Street Cemetary Dedication 1906

Granville NY, North Street Cemetary Dedication 1906

Civil War Veterans at dedication in 1906 of the cemetery across from the current location of Holbrooks Nursing Home on North Street Granville, NY

Salem NY, Proudfit Building 1912

Salem NY, Proudifit Building 1912

Proudfit Memorial Hall was built on the site of the Old Salem Hotel. Originally the hall housed two stores and the fire department on the first floor, a 20x40 foot stage along seating for 650 to 700 people, dressing rooms, and galleries. The third floor consisted of two large rooms. The South Wing (both floors) housed the Library, and opened on Dec. 5, 1891. Proudfit Hall was wired for electricity in 1909, and burned in 1976. After the fire only the first floor was reconstructed to house the Salem Library and Fire House.

Visit our Town View Gallery for 1000s of vintage images of upstate New York and Southern Vermont

Current Images

North Hoosick, NY ~ Delaney Hotel ~ 2011

North Hoosick, NY ~ Delaney Hotel  ~ 2011

The Delaney Hotel, also the North Hoosick Hotel and Hathaway Hotel, is located at the junction of NY 22 and 67 in the hamlet of North Hoosick, NY. It is a large Greek Revival-style building dating to the middle of the 19th century with some later Italianate decoration. Few alterations have been made, and it is a well-preserved example of vernacular interpretations of those styles in a rural building.

Shushan NY ~ Shushan Covered Bridge Museum ~ 2011

Shushan NY ~ Shushan Covered Bridge Museum ~ 2011

Located in the hamlet of Shushan, NY is housed in an old covered bridge built in 1858 by the Stevens Bros. The bridge is of Town Lattice Truss construction, 161 feet long. The Town Lattice truss design was one of about 20 wooden bridge truss types developed during the 19th Century. Patented January 1, 1820 by Ithiel Town, an architect from Bridgeport, Connecticut, it was extensively promoted by him throughout the south. By 1840 it had become one of a few standard types chosen by local builders because of its ease of construction.

East Poultney, VT ~ Baptist Church ~ 2006

East Poultney, VT ~ Baptist Church ~ 2006

The Federal style church, designed and constructed by master builder Elisha Scott, was built in 1805 at a cost of $6,000. An addition costing $2,000 was made in 1839. Considered to be one of the outstanding Federal style churches in Vermont, it is located on the green in East Poultney.

Bennington North, VT ~ Powers Market ~ 2010

Bennington North, VT ~ Powers Market ~ 2010

In the 1830's Edward M. Welling, a prominent business man in North Bennington built the building now known as Powers Market as a Company Store for his paper mills. He had a paper mill behind the Pangea's Restaurant that made wall paper and another mill on the road to Hoosick Falls about three miles out of North Bennington both were known as the Stark Paper Company.